1901 - 1920
Columbia County and Regional Visitors enjoyed the Amusement Park and its Lake setting
with Music, Boat Rides, Ferris Wheel, Entertaining Rides, Vaudeville, Dancing, and Community
Developed in Niverville by the Albany & Hudson Rail Road,
and set on 40 acres along Kinderhook Lake, the amusement park attracted visitors from Albany to Manhattan
Situated on 40 acres along the shore of Kinderhook Lake, Electric Park opened in 1901.
A generic term for amusement parks operated by railroad and electric companies, so-called ‘electric parks’ dazzled with bright lights, motorized trolleys, entertaining rides, games, and vaudeville acts. Operated by the A&H Railway and Power Company, Kinderhook Lake’s Electric Park was first constructed as a way to encourage travel on their new trolley line between Albany and Hudson.
First World War austerity measures forced Electric Park to close for the 1917- 1918 season, and it struggled to reopen after the War. By 1920 Electric Park had effectively closed, unable to sustain itself.